Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Taking a trip to Kim Town!

I told you we'd have a great interview today.. None other than Kim Townsend, the creative muscle behind Simply Splash, as well as a fabulous photographer!

Kim did my splash page (which I adore), as well as TONS of other photog's pages. If you're ever in the market for a rockin splash page, look no further!

Name/Location:

 Kim Townsend/Simply Splash Virginia Beach (you know where)

How did you get into Photography and Web Design?

I started photography with a pinhole camera in high school. It was one of those “elective” classes I had to take. I thought it would be easy and I could breeze right through it. Little did I know black and white photography would become my passion. I’m sure my children think that my face is a Nikon since that’s what’s always in front of it!! My husband was deployed to Iraq this summer and it’s very hard to go on shoots when you have three kids. I decided to put my photography life on hold and help out some photographers with web design. I knew a little html when I started and just continued to teach myself something new every day. After a few great splash pages, I decided to help the masses. Word of mouth got around and Simply Splash was born. I find it hard sometimes to balance my work and life but I always make sure that my family and my clients are happy.

Describe your Style in 3 words:   Fun, Fresh, Relaxed

Your favorite Subject to Photograph:

Kids, hands down. They don’t worry about their hair or make-up or even if their clothes match. They just run around and have fun, which is what capturing the moment is all about.

When you need to get inspired what do you do?

I watch my children. They have so much life and vision in their own little minds! If I need inspiration on what to do next, they help me out.

ktp3

Would you rather have one eye in the middle of your forehead that has 20/20 vision OR have 2 eyes in the normal places but be blind?

Oh give me one good eye! (I already have two in the back of my head ya know) I would never want to forego the beauty of this world, for the sake of my own personal beauty.

Favorite Website to waste time on:

HA! That’s easy…prophotogs.com or ebay.com

Favorite Photoshop Tool or tip:

 For my photography it’s the little paperclip that you can click on to keep your transform tool to a fixed….um what’s the word (so it doesn’t go all wonky and distort your images) LOL!! For my design, it’s definiately the Slice tool.

ktp2

Fave Action in the Set:

If it’s phaunt then I know my fav is the GLAM IT!!!

Your latest endeavor with Simply Splash?

 The Jessica Dittmer line!! 

 Jessica Dittmer is now designing splash pages exclusively for Simply Splash! (It’s on the blog)

Tell us a little bit about what you do for photographers and how did you get to be so stinking awesome?

LOL!! I design splash pages for photographers of all skill levels. A Splash Page is basically the first page you see when you visit someones site. It’s an html page that allows different links to the various places in your online world. They can have images, elements, links and banners! They are also very helpful in getting you search-able if you have a flash based website. Of course there is lots of info on the site about it J

Famous Kim quote:

 I’m not sure who said it, but it’s “When in deep water, become a diver” I love this quote so much because in all aspects of our life sometimes we get in over our heads and think there is no way out. There is always a way out. There is always a way to make your situation better than it is right now; even if it’s good, it can be GREAT.

ktp1

Kim's parting words:

"Just some more info you can add cause I like to talk LOL!!: Of course, I live by the Golden Rule also in my photography world and design world. I treat my clients as if they are my ONLY client. I try my hardest to make everyone feel like they are just as important to me as any other client. Afterall, that is how I would want to be taken care of. My clients are the heart of my business and without them I would not have a business. I think sometimes we all need to take a step back and remember that your clients are PEOPLE too. "

 

I couldn't agree more, Kim!

Be sure to check out all of Kim's designs at Simply Splash, tell her Kylie sent you :)

So, I did say I may have a freebie in honor of the always cool Kim. Since the Glam It Action is her fave, I guess I'll put that up for FREE for you to snag today ONLY.. after that it's going into the extras set and will only be available via purchase.

Grab it here.. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Thank you! :) -- meggan

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks alot Kylie, I just bought the whole Shebang today, can't wait to add this to it. You're a doll.

Lou Ann

RachelMay said...

Great interview!

And thanks for the freebie! Ive been messing with it all night!

Did you get my email???

-R

Anonymous said...

Hey that's ME!!! Thanks Kylie so much. KimTown has some construction going on right now, so I apologize for it being down. LOL!! It's getting a new website and complete facelift (great timing huh LOL)

And from Simply Splash-thank you to all you photographers out there that continue to allow me to be a part of your lives, photography and private.

You are all so wonderful...I couldn't even begin to say how I feel.

{HUGS}