Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Inspiration


My mom is a collector of many things (books, journals, pens, collages) so whenever I'm in need of a good book to read, I go to her house. I was browsing her shelves recently and saw this book.

afterimage

I am a sucker for old B/W prints, so the image on the front immediatly drew me in. After starting the book, I'm hooked. The book is loosely based on the work of Julia Margaret Cameron, whom I'd admittedly never heard of before.

I have to say, I am totally inspired and in love with her work.



I'm on a quest now to read more about her (after I finish the book). Have you ever read a book/quote or seen a photograph that just invigorates you and reminds you of why you picked up this crazy hobby? I love that. Sometimes in the day to day routine of taking pictures and doing client orders, you forget about the love of photography that got you started in the first place. Things like this always bring be back full circle to where I started and remind me of the most important things.

I'd love to hear of books/quotes/photographers that inspire you... drop me a line, comment, whatever!

Here's a few quotes of hers that I loved:

Perfectionism is not a quest for the best. It is a pursuit of the worst in ourselves, the part that tells us that nothing we do will ever be good enough - that we should try harder.
Julia Margaret Cameron (1815 - 1879)


The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention.
Julia Margaret Cameron


When we are angry or depressed in our creativity, we have misplaced our power. We have allowed someone else to determine our worth, and then we are angry at being undervalued.
Julia Margaret Cameron

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Julia's photographs seem surprisingly modern. I love the one of the girl leaning her head against the wall.