Thursday, August 2, 2007

phaunt actions needs YOU!

There is so many different photoshop sites out there, many with great tutorials, but I know a lot of them intimidated me, especially in the beginning, and many of them aren't really geared towards portrait/kids photography. I'm working on making tutorials that are specific for photographers and what we typically use photoshop for. I'd love to eventually build a website just for tutorials that could be a resource for photographers to learn about photoshop.

I'm obviously still in the beginning stages of learning how to make good tutorials, so I'm certainly no pro, but I do love doing them and hearing that I've helped some people figure out something in PS, it makes my day!

I really want to hear some feedback on what type of tutorials you like best.. Video or Print Screen/written? Do you like very detailed or more to the point?

I have a long list of things I'd like to do tutorials on, but wanted to get a better idea of what most people would prefer before I did them.

Also, I'd love it if people would throw out ideas on what they'd like to see tutorials on. I'd rather do ones that everyone wants. Any ideas/feedback would be awesome.

Please take the poll on the left and leave a comment about a tutorial you'd like to see. The person whose suggestion I choose will get the Whole Shebang set FREE, just for letting me know what tutorial they'd like.. you get the tutorial and the actions for free, what could be better than that?

Thanks everyone for helping me make phaunt actions a place that can be used by everyone, I really hope to make this project into something that can help the photography community grow together!

As always, if you need to contact me directly, email me at actions@kyliebanks.com or info@phauntactions.com

Thanks!

21 comments:

Jodi said...

I would love to see a tutorial about the best ways to get skin tone perfect. I know a number of ways using selective color, hue/saturation, color balance. But they are all subjective. I would love to learn a more scientific way to get the skin tones natural and free of casts.

Kathy Bishop (aka scrappinkat) said...

I would love to see a tutorial about layer masks and getting the right skin tones.

Kathy Bishop (aka scrappinkat) said...

Yup skin tones here too. I have some issues because right now kids are so tanned, and in the winter they are white lol

Angela said...

I would love to learn how to set up batching. To speed up my post=processing time.

Also, the proper way to use/or understand color balance.

And there is a technique I keep seeing out there. A person has a white/light sky but the edges or half is the sky is blue... I would love to learn how to do that. If you are interested in that I can send you an example.

Thanks for all your info and hard work, I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

ditto to the skin tones, but not just in color - also in black and white!

once you get your PSE actions out, I'd also like to see a tutorial on actions and how to "tweak" them.

Anonymous said...

I know that one of the first things I wanted to do - even before watermarking, was adding a border to my images and prepping them for web. It took me awhile to understand sizing (dpi)for this purpose.

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the skin tone and batch processing images! Also, maybe one on repairing typical mistakes (over/under exposure, red eye when flash used, etc) that may help newbies to photoshop -- like something on basic post processing work flow?

Amy said...

Hi I'd love a tut on how to add the textures to photos properly.

Thanks so much for doing this!

jamie said...

your tutorials are amazing as is. thanks for all your hard work. It's doesn't go unnoticed. I would love to have a tutorial on skin tones and also a tutorial on manual color pop. how to work with levels, curves and hue/saturation. thanks again for all your hard work.

Anonymous said...

I'd love a tutorial on how to 'identify' colour casts....often I know there is one in my image but I don't really know 'what it is'....or someone will say your image is too 'warm' or too 'cool'...but I don't *really* know what that means or how to correct it.

thanks - Jill

jamie said...

Can I add another request? I'd love a tutorial on how to adjust my color on my photos to print. My understanding is that if you don't have your settings correct, when you print your photos they will look different than what they look like on your monitor. is that true? anyways, another suggestion. :)

Mary-Ella said...

probably a little full on but i would love to learn more about combining actions on an image - the when and why etc.

ps - i love dr pepper silly too!!!!they don't really sell it in australia much these days - very sad....


sheila

Martha Bravo said...

I think your tutorials are great, thanks for sharing your time and talent with all of us.
I will love to see a tutorial about color in general (skin tones especially) And a way to give a unique look to the photos, like a combination of texture with color with borders. I think that our clients are very attracted to those different looks.

Tara Thueson said...

I would love to see a tutorial on what YOU do with a photo from beginning to end. Your total workflow. I know that all photo's are different, but generally we do a lot of the same things to our photos. (How we lighten, darken, save, etc.) I guess it would be a tutorial for beginners!!

Anonymous said...

I think a good tutorial would be one on the different techniques to achieve black and white images with some tonal depth. Too many times you see someone desaturate and image and call it black and white. I think this is an important one.

Anonymous said...

I know alot of people struggle on (selective) sharpening and defogging. Maybe a visual aid will once and for all open people eyes and stop confusing them.

Kylie Banks (phaunt) said...

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions.. I'm going to pick one and do a tutorial.. Watch for it in the coming weeks!

Anonymous said...

I would like a tutorial on using curves and levels. Specifically, whento use the eyedropper tool and all the other tools on curves.

Thanks.

Unknown said...

i would like to see a tut on using curves and leves too...

that would be great

:]

amy karp | PHOTOGRAPHY said...

I think I got here because I was nosing around on ILP - this blog is great! Thank you sooo much for sharing. I have learned quite a bit from you already!

Anonymous said...

personally i would love to see an action on colour popping or when you have a muddy photo how to bring depth back in to it
fee