Thursday, September 13, 2007

Elements Actions

Okay.. so I know a few of you have been faithfully waiting for Elements versions of the actions. After much thinking and testing, I've decided that I really can't, in good conscience, do elements actions. The actions I have made use a lot of the more advanced features of PS, and I really can't duplicate them in Elements without degrading the quality of the actions. I don't want to sell a watered down version of the actions just to make a quick buck, when I'm not really happy with the results that I was able to get with them.

The other issue is that my whole philosophy behind doing these actions was/is to help people LEARN photoshop and speed up their own workflow. The way that elements actions work, you are not able to really deconstruct the action and see what is happening, so it's really more of a click and go thing. Since most people using Elements are very beginners in Photoshop, I'd rather not put out actions that are going to hinder them from learning how to work it.

That said, I feel bad not giving SOMETHING to those of you that have been asking or watching for elements actions. I have recorded a version of the "Sunshine in your Hand" action that is so popular, and am going to make that available for those of you using elements. There is also a copy of the flashlight action that I shared from last week freebie.

Here's a tutorial on how to load the actions into your elements, but there is also a copy of the video included in the download file.

Click To Play




To download the actions for elements GO HERE


Sorry, didn't make it clear.. If you're downloading the Elements version you'll have to also have Winrar (free program) to unzip the file. I keep forgetting to zip it as a normal zip!


I'm sorry to disappoint anyone, but I would rather put out actions that I'm proud of than just throw something together to make a some $$. In the future I may make some more actions available to elements users, but I will also be showing you HOW to achieve the same thing without the action. Remember, the only way you can really learn photoshop is by doing it, not by letting an action do it for you!

Oh.. for those PS7 and up Users, so you don't feel left out.. Here's the Sunshine (and a few more) actions for you, just in case you don't have a copy.

HERE

So.. That said.. Be sure to check back tomorrow for Freebie Friday.. I"m going to be starting my tutorials on Blend Modes and the effects you can achieve with them.

9 comments:

AR said...

You've got some really good info here. Thanks for sharing. I am not able to open/dload your actions. Keeps giving me a message (that I should have written down). Very excited in seeing/listening to your other tutorials. Thanks again.

Dixie said...

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm new to photoshop. What program do I need to open the file with. I've downloaded it but can't open it.

Kylie Banks (phaunt) said...

Sorry about that! You'll need to have Winrar to open the zip file. It's a free program to download (see the post for the link).

Anonymous said...

WOW! What wonderful information. Someone passed your link on. I can see spending some time looking around. Thanks for the action for elements! Can't wait to try it.

Dixie said...

I just wanted to thank you! It's a great action!(it took me an hour or two, but I finally figured out how to open it.I wish I had come back by here before wasting all that time and saw your reply.DOH!)

I left a before and after at ILP for you to see.

Anonymous said...

Thanks chook from fee (ogilberry) love the story behing the name phaunt very cute and clever...tute is great thanks for your help on these things i am slowly getting addicted to your blog hehe woohooo
fee (fiona)

Joy said...

Thank you so much for showing me how to load the actions in elements... it has made me crazy trying to figure out how to do it.

Jennifer said...

Hi there! Thanks for a great tutorial! I've been trying to figure this out. I followed your instructions however when I opened Photoshop Elements 5.0 to make sure the actions went into the "effects" folder there was nothing labeled "Phaunt Actions"!! Any ideas? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

hi there, i was wondering if i could still get this action from you, i was out of town on vacation and just came back, tried to get it and it says expired! is there anyway i could still get it? please email me and let me know., thank you so much!

leia~
lrreeves0315@yahoo.com