Friday, November 2, 2007

Freebie Friday 11/1

Can you believe it's November already? I swear I'm still not ready for it to be FALL, let alone Winter!

Before Freebie Friday, lets do yesterday's winners! The winner of the $25 gift certificate is... Erica! :) (email me at info@phauntactions.com to claim your prize)

And the winner of the $35 to Pink Ink Studios (I'm a bit jealous, I'd rather just use the $35 myself )

GEORGIA GOEKEN!

 

Congrats Gals.. Email me at info@phauntactions.com to claim your prize!!

Don't forget to visit Pink Ink studios today, they've got some great Blog Mixer fun going on every friday!

So.. On to Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeebie Friday!!

Today I'm going to be showing you how to quickly and easily apply a Brown tone to your B/W images. This method is easily adjustable, so that you can apply as much or as little as you want. Today's tutorial is really quick, so I'm just going to do it via Screen Shots..

First off, convert your image to B/W. I’m going to do a quick Channel Mixer conversion (see THIS tutorial if you don’t know how to do that). You can use whatever b/w conversion method that you want. Just leave a little LESS contrast than you would normally do, we’ll add a bit with our brown tone, so we don’t want it to be too over the top.

So, we have our B/W image that looks like this:

 

browntonetut1

We’ve done a quick B/W conversion and then flattened our layers. Next step is to create a NEW layer and fill it with the brown color that we want.

So go to LAYER-->NEW FILL LAYER --> SOLID COLOR

browntonetut2

Press Okay on the next dialogue box, then pick a Brown tone, a darker one will work best. I chose this one, but you can play with the tone to find one that you like the best.

 

browntonetut3

Press OK, and you will now have a brown filled layer covering up your image. To apply that brown tone to the image we have to change the blending mode of the fill layer.

Do that by going to your Layers palette and clicking the fly down menu and choosing one of the Blending modes:

browntonetut4

For adding a tone, usually the OVERLAY or SOFT LIGHT blending modes work best, but you can experiment with them to find what you like. Basically what Photoshop is doing is going to take the Hue/Saturation/Lumination of the Fill layer and depending on what blending mode you pick it will apply it differently to the underlying layer (our image).

I’ve chosen Overlay for this image, but you can pick what looks best for yours. Then all you need to do is lower the opacity of the fill color layer to intensify/lower the effect. I’ve brought my opacity down to about 60%..

And.... VOILA!

browntonetut5

It’s that easy!! All you have to do now is merge layers and maybe do some burning/dodging to bring the color out more. Remember, this works with any color, so don’t stick with browns, go crazy, try some purple, blue, red, whatever! Change your blending modes and opacity to get varied effects.

So this week's freebie is a quick B/W conversion action that will add a Brown tone to your image at the end. Also included is an action that will let you intensify/burn/deepen the color after it's applied.

chocococomocho

Go to the Freebie's Section of the Store to get the Action!

Remember.. the freebie is only up for a week, so grab it now! And Leave me a comment, Will ya? Cus This weekend's comments winner will get the NEW Procrastination Pak as a prize!! Have a great weekend everyone!

41 comments:

kspt1999 said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial and freebie! I have been frequenting your blog, hoping for a good burn action/tutorial. :)

And I've been racking my brain to figure out how I could finagle my way into getting the procrastination pack. I'll just continue to raise my hand and hope one of these times the teacher calls on the quiet student. ;)

scrappinkay said...

OMG, I love this and what a C-U-T-E dog. TFS your awesome actions

-michelle said...

thank you so much for sharing!!
love your tutorials! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your talent! Thanks to you, I'm finding little things in Photoshop that I've overlooked in the past or forgotten about.

~Carla

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for all your give aways this action is fun! Already tried it out! Also thanks so much for me being a winner!!! Very excited!

~Georgia Goeken~

Anonymous said...

Am I first? Really?
Please tell me that I'm not the only one that can't say Chocho Coco Mocho? I keep trying to say Chocho... Kylie, you can add tongue-twister writer to your list of talents and abilities!
Thanks for the tutorials... you rock!

Anonymous said...

WOW Kylie!!! This is so wonderful, thank you so much for all that you do :)
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Awesome - thanks!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome action, thanks for sharing! I can not wait to try it out. Teehee - I just though I would mention too that today is the 2nd not the 1st. According to your calendar winter wont be coming too fast, lol. But we know how busy you are Kylie so you are allowed! :)

Jenny Miller said...

You are changing my Photoshop Life....one great tutorial at a time!! You have no idea how much I have learned from you!!! Thanks a million...and keep it up!
Jenn

Lucrezia said...

The PS Guru does it again! Thanks for the tutorial and freebies every week.

And I'm knee deep in my brand new Procrastination Pak! LOVE IT!!!!

Toni Hamel said...

You rock! Love the brown conversion and the doggy too!

Kaosong said...

Wow! You never cease to amaze me with the ease in which you edit in PS. You are a master!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! You are awesome! As a newbie to photoshop, I really appreciate it! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much I love your actions and your freebies are always great. Its becoming and addiction to visit your blog on Fridays!!!
Thanks

Jeannette Chirinos Gold said...

Ok. that is a real funny name but also is PEGAJOSO (like we will say in spanish) I think is kinda of sticky or something,
Good one Choco Coco Mocho..........

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your actions and tuts. Fridays are always fun!!!
Thanks

Kristen said...

You ROCK! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

OOOH Love the brown tint to the photo. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much!!! Great tutorial and action!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love all your freebies and tutorials. You rock!!!

Melissa V.

Deb said...

How nice! Thank you!

Shelby said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial and the action - you inspire me!

~Shelby~

Anonymous said...

Kylie, you are every photoshoppers inspiration and idol!! Thank you so much for ALL your generosity.

<3 Candice

Brooke said...

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this with us! I swear I come to this blog everyday and am amazed with the awesome things I am learning. THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I would LOVE the procrastination pak! Thanks for the freebie too....awesome!

Anonymous said...

Can't THANK YOU enough for ALL your precious time and talents.
Thanks for sharing!
Somer M.

Tara Staton said...

Thank you so much! I have been waiting to be able to get some of your actions! I have created brown tones using duotones, but never thought of this method. I love it!

AR said...

you know they say brown is the new black and oh how I love brown!!! this is a cool freebie and I can not wait to try. you are one cool chic to share your talent. thanks.

Shawfam said...

Kylie - THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart! I stuffed up and unwittingly bumped the ISO up to 1600 on a whole shoot of my kids causing them all to be ruined with grain (it was a four hour return trip to this location too). With your help I can salvage some of the shoot, so 100+ photos don't go to waste. Your mocha conversion method worked a treat, I love it. I can't thank you enough. Here is one I quickly tried it on, I love it!!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2140/1842328620_545477c0ba.jpg

Thanks so much!!! I also love knowing how to do this myself now and who knew it was that easy. You are such a great teacher. I am learning so much from you, I can't wait all the time for my Friday fix :)

Gayle

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This is so generous of you.

Kim said...

Kylie..
You are so awesome..thank you!!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Kylie, Can you tell me where to push the download button? Do i need to log in first? Seems like I'm the only one not being able to download....

Anonymous said...

Your blog is becoming my second home! Thanks for taking time out to show PS dummies like me the ropes. The toned action will come in very handy as will the know-how of doing it myself.

It's no wonder you created the procrastination pack - man, I am seriously procrastinating doing what I should be doing because i'm looking at your site. So, thanks a million is some ways, and not in others!

Jen Stocks

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun your site is. Oh my gosh I love your tutorials!

Bratty1

Anonymous said...

Kylie this action rocks!! I love it! So much fun to add color in, this is a great tutorial and really makes sense the way you explain it. Thank for all your generosity!!

Melissa Fullmer said...

I Love your actions! I use the sunshine in your hands one on almost every single on of my pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love this! Thanks Kylie.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome. You make Photoshop seems so easy to use! I love all your tutorials. Thanks for sharing w/all of us.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much you are AWESOME!

Christine said...

AWESOME - thanks so much! Your tips and tricks are SO helpful!!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much can't wait to try it out! Oh and great tutorials as well